Monday, June 02, 2008

Italy, Baby!

Since I am coming HOME in JUNE (that's right folks... European jaunting will be over for me soon). I am taking the remaining weekends I have here to soak in all things European. This past weekend: ITALY!

We left a rainy Basel on Friday night and did one of those sleeper cars all night long thru Bern, Bolongna, to where the heck, Parma (it's where they make the 'sean cheese), to La Spezia where we finally stayed and explored. We did Cinque Terre. ("Chink-wah Tara" for you, Dad.) It stands for the Five cities. It was a seriously (I can't think of new words to describe it...) BEAUTIFUL place. We started in the first town and walked to the second one along the river. Being ever adventurous and not girly-girls in the least... we hiked the high path up to the mountains and down to the next villiage, it took us about three hours to do this leg (and I saw a SNAKE. Yes it was totally a snake and I DID NOT faint...what was I saying? Not girly at ALL, ahem. Yeah..)



Between the first two cities. We were only about 400m above sea level, but we felt like it should count for more since we actually STARTED climing at sea level. I think that counts for something... right?

We came back down to sea level and dipped our feed in the "Med"which is I guess...is how the hoi polloi refer to it. But I am not so very chic. Clearly...
We then took a bus and another train to the remaining two cities and bought some tasty wines and some local artwork from Oliver, the lovely Croatian painter man. He paints squiggly versions of the cities in brilliant colors. We had dinner at a nice restaurant, the people in Italy are MUCH friendlier than the Swiss. However, the trains are cleaner and they actually run the whole time... so there are trade offs.
From Cinque Terre, we made our way to Pisa and Florence. We hadn't necessarily planned to, but there was an Italian train strike, so we adjusted and hit the high points. And almost missed two trains.
Being in the same room as the statue of the David again made me all shivery...no tears. I did get a little choked up the first time I saw him. It's just surreal. He is 500cm tall...that's way bigger than you think.
Duomo in Florence. Firenza, rather. I think by far my favorite Italian city. We checked out the leather and textile markets and probably spent way to much on purses and scarves, but it was fun to "bargain" with the groping Italians. (!). Ok, to be honest I was a little violated by Guido, but I think I got a deal. (On the purse...)

Tami is pushing the tower over on me...she made me stand in the distance so she would look fierce. I don't think she looks fierce.
I love nerds too. These bottles are (R) empty, and (L) not opened.

Being on a train for two of the last three nights made me INCREDIBLY tired... but good tired. We met all these "tourists" on the trains, mostly Americans and we felt all cool and "local". Geez. We are dorks.

How will I come back to normal life after this? I have no idea what normal is anymore.
Spoiled Rotten,

Linz





2 comments:

angela said...

you guys are too cute! looks like a great adventure. say hi to ashley for me! ;)

annie said...

I have both pretty papers and lots of free time. When you return, we should have a framing date for all of your stellar pics. Best to do it soon, while details are fresh ;)