Sunday, August 09, 2009

Things that made me chuckle


The folks I have been hanging around in Ireland have been the source of delicious quotable fodder.
Lindsey: "So I bet driving in the US was a bit of an adjustment, being on the right and all."
Cabbie#1: "Yer f#*$'in right it was an adjustment... they don letcha drive on the bloody left!"

Cabbie #2 trying to find an out-of-the-way restaurant...calls his dispatcher for more information and when he finds the restaurant location, she tells him about his next pickup. A woman needed a larger cab, like his, but only because she had a big black bag.
Cabbie #2: "A big black bag? I hope she hasn't chopped up 'er husband* in dere!"

(Husband pronounced...Hooose-band....and Cabbie#2 was named Patrick Murphy).

Scottish client has also been a priceless example of the grasp of the language.
Scottish client to a waitress: "Didja sue 'em?"
Waitress: "Excuse me?"
Scottish client: "Didja SUE 'em?"
Waitress: "Sue who?"
Scottish client: "The Charm School you went to"

Dublin Airline Security attendant: "Do you have any liquids or Umbrellas in there?"
Me: "No." He couldn't have just said 'umbrella' he must have said something else.
Second Dublin Airline Security person: "Is this your bag? Do you have an Umbrella in here?"
Me: "I THOUGHT that's what he asked me...." I did have one. A very menacing blue one about five inches tall.

A letter I'd like to write to the airline security personnel... if you ask us to declare different things at every stinkin checkpoint world-wide, you cannot get mad at us if we do not know that shoes are supposed to go directly on the belt or that I need to declare my umbrellas up front.
An English co-worker brought an interesting statistic to my attention: "One in every three Amercians weighs more than the other two."

I decided to come back with "Oh yeah? Two in every three Englishmen are drunker than the other one"

Not sure if either are true... but they are both funny.

Golfing Buddy: "Lindsey, you are up the arse of every tree on the course."

That was very much true.

1 comment:

C. Shirk said...

Traveling is fascinating. And your life is crazy.