Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Just because I'm about to slip into anonymity...

I have watched this developing news with a curiousity. Will they mention us?

They haven't. It's like it doesn't exist. It's not even an asterisk.

The current University of Connecticut womens basketball team has now won 71 games in a row.

They are media darlings and, of course, division I atheletes. But seriously... "making history"?

That's a bit much. Considering...

My team won 81.

In a row.

That's all I'm sayin'. And the "record" before that... in all of womens basketball was 61. I think that was a Div. 2 team maybe..

I'll grow up and let it go. It hardly matters in day to day life now. Much like my embarassing spelling bee loss in seventh grade. Or the amazing time I met an old man in the airport named "Merrill Lindsey". But at least acknowledge the current record holder for at least 10 more games until it's not ours anymore.

Records are made to be broken. I hope they do break it. It's great for the game. I hope they surpass John Wooden's men's record of 88 games in a row.

But for ten more games...

Check out the asterisk.

1 comment:

casey finan said...

Linz,

I saw that in an article the other day and I read the whole thing to see if it would mention ya'll, but I'm sorry to say it didn't. But of course it looks like it will only be a matter of time before they do it. So it goes.

Peace,

Casey