Sunday, October 30, 2005

It's the MOST wonderful day of the year!

That's right.

The day where we gain an hour. Oh joy. That's sixty whole more minutes to do whatever it is you want to do . I was once asked what my favorite holiday is (I'm sure it was by Casey at a South City diner nite) and my unequivical answer was this day. This is literally better than Christmas for me. AND THIS daylight savings day was better than most.





Today I defeated a fear. A long standing childhood fear.

Of the riding lawn mower.

When I was about 11 I jumped off of one and ran screaming into the house. I am startled very easily, and incredibly gun shy, so loud noises tend to set me off, and the whir of the giant rotating blades skeered the begeezus out of me. I was up and outta there faster than a long tailed cat in a roomful of rockin chairs. Now, in my adulthood, I see them putt along at all of 3 mph and this fear has seemed rather silly. But I had never overcome this, or needed to.

But today... I was victorious. After figuring out the mystery of operation, (Amy, I attribute ignition success to my "myst" honed skills. ) I rode around the yard about thirty times. It was liberating. I definitely called like three people, including my roomate who was inside the house. It was fist-pumping amazing. Wow. I'm now a completely self-sufficient homeowner, no need to hire a lawn boy.

ALSO (as if this day could hold any more joy) I hung my two person hammock today. My mom procured a perfectly good one from Goodwill for 13 bucks. Two trips to Lowe's, four s-hooks and three feet of chain later...I am in hog heaven. I think if I died today, I'd say I lived a full and rewarding life, chock full of the blessings of God.

I'm very proud of me for the riding mulching I did today. I'm very happy and the rain held off today long enough for me to take a legitimate nap in my hammock and for me to plop a second person in it and talk about life. I'm very happy that I got to share this day with some people I love, and very happy that I went to Church today. For the first time in awhile, I truly worshipped, and there was an illustration using Sea Monkeys.

Put a couch back in the kitchen. A couchen... rather. And resurrected the tree people in art form. All in all. A great day.

I beat the mower. Huzzah!

4 comments:

J said...

Merrill,

Congrats on conquering the riding mower. That's sweet stuff right there.

While I do appreciate the sunshine when I wake up in the morning, the day getting dark earlier really irks me. I love the spring equinox, when it's the first signal that we'll have daylight into the evening hours, and winter's clutch on humanity is over.

By the way, I think starting in 2007, Daylight Savings Time gets moved back two weeks or so into November, and bumped back in the spring to mid to early March. This is an energy-saving move enacted by Congress.

I wish I could have you take the mower to town.

J said...

I meant that I wish I could have SEEN you take the mower to town.

Marti said...

Before this year I loved gaining an hour, but with an unpredictable 10-month-old, I have to say that I'd almost rather lose an hour. She was up at 5:50 AM yesterday (her usual 7:00 or so), hungry during church, and ready for bed at 7:00 PM (instead of 8:00) while we were still away from home with things going on. My firstborn wasn't like this. Lord help me!

jane. said...

* i went to home depot to buy light bulbs. saw a john deere sign. thought of your conquest-ing (not sure what the word here would be).