Sunday, December 11, 2005

Rains, Pours Yadda Yadda Yadda.....


Just when you think you have your spiritual life sort of in a place where it is going to stay for awhile, your practical life (for lack of a better word) goes to pot.
Number one, my sewer backed up on me. Pipes are supposed to slope to the street. Mine don't.
Number two, my garage door opener gears are stripped.
Number three, my furnace sounds like an old man.
Number four, I need my oil changed and literally haven't had time to get it done in the last three weeks.
Number Five, My check engine light is on, washer fluid is filled, and my headlight is out. (I count those all as one, I suppose).
Number six, I stuck a can of diet cherry coke in my purse this morning on my way out the door to church. I forgot about it, and came back to the house and set it on my bed. It sprung a leak, soaked my densely-written-in-purple-ink 'to do' list, stained my bedspread purple and ruined my phone.
Number Seven, I can't wash my bedspread or any of my monster mountain of clothes because my washing machine is broken. Thats makes two broken washers in the last year.
(And my roomie gets to add a minor car accident to her list of annoyances, as the house related ones affect her too.)

So to recap....
I can't wash anything, call anyone, drive anywhere, park in my garage, or spend any money because I haven't got the roto-rooter bill yet. I don't even know where to start.

In spite of all this, I'm in very good spirits, as I said, I am spiritually feeling pretty good. Presents are all wrapped, baking is done. Work is good. Listened to a ton of Beth Moore this week, got my shipment of her cd's in the mail, and they are as ever, so great! I had the pleasure of dinner and a chick flick (Pride and Predjudice) with a very good friend of mine Friday night. It was the perfect girl nite. Very encouraging discussion, and good times.

I'm also in good spirits because I got to work at the Grace and Peace women's homeless shelter last nite, and it was very humbling. I feel so overwhelmed sometimes with the amount of hard stories there are. I have a roof over my head, a family that loves me, a great job and food on my table. Life is ridiculously good. The trick is deciding that it would still be ridiculously good even if I didn't have those things. Jesus said "I am the bread" and in Him we have life and breath and our being, the rest of it, Maximus, is shadows and dust. Concretely, I'm not sure how that works, but in my spirit, I know it is true, because there are times when I have indeed had everything, and it wasn't enough. So it stands to reason that if all I had was Jesus and nothing else, that it would somehow, inexplicably, be enough.

In the meantime. I'm not ignoring your calls. Thank God the internet still works.

4 comments:

Cary said...

Hang in there, Merl! I think you have your priorities just right.

But I can't find the part of the Bible where Jesus is talking to Maximus. I think they left that out of the dusty old King James version. Thanks for nothing, mother Britain.

Nom de plume said...

Oh, Lindsey!
I feel for you, and I'm sorry. Conversely, I'm also thrilled and a little jealous that all of this is reminding you of your real treasure. That's so easy to lose sight of, and I'm glad you can delight in the Lord still.
On another note, we missed you this weekend at BJ's birthday party in Kirksville. I sat by B-cose and Webel, and we talked about you! Long live the world of blogging and it's unprecedented power to unite...

Unknown said...

wow...i must say that is brutal! i'm glad that you still have your head on straight after all of that. i'm not sure i would! (sidenote-where do you get these beth moore cds? i would love to listen to that!)

so yes, after many, MANY hours of waiting for a train, i got to k-ville (at 2AM on Saturday) and webel, elisa and i definitely had you in our conversation. you haven't failed to come up whenever i'm in missouri ever since we "met." you're popular!

anyway, i hope things are much better now that they were a few days ago. it's really encouraging though to see your attitude in all of this...it's amazing!

Me said...

I'm officially funny! yesss...

Your brother clued me into your blog, so I've been blogstalking you for awhile now. I told him that I'll be home for a bit for the holidays--24th to the 28th--probably for the last time until late '06 or early '07...whenever they decide to send me home from Iraq. So we should convene!