Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Cordless Extension Cord.

Amongst the hoopla of packing last weekend, i realized when I got to Frankfurt that there was a good chance I had forgotten my computer power supply cord.  (Switched carry-ons at the last minute and the transfer did not happen).  So when I got to Basel, my compy was completely dead.  So I go to the the front desk to see if they would lend me something or if they had something Dell-ish for me to use. They had a plethora of cords, but to no avail.  So I inquired about a place to buy something.  Nothing in Basel is open on Sundays so Monday after work I took the bus down to the train station to get a new cord.  It was pouring down rain and I didn't have an umbrella.  Missed my first bus from work and had to wait for the next one in the rain for 15 minutes.  Must have been an omen.  I get to the "Media Markt" and wander it aimlessly, admittedly distracted by the aisles of 'stuff' it seemed bigger and more useful than a Best Buy.  So the "information guy" was swamped by tons of people and he was apparently the only dude there that could answer "computer" related questions.  (Very Swiss).  I decided I didn't need his help and found a universal cord on my own.  Checked my voltages and was good to go. Didn't find a price tag..but I didn't suppose it mattered, since it was my only option.  I get up to the cashier and notice I'm getting tight on time, I had told co-workers I would meet them at 8 for dinner and I was still across town, so I"m getting hungry and anxious and I'm still damp.  So.. of course.. I"m behind an old Swiss goat-herder who took, I SWEAR, like ten whole minutes to count his money out.  I'm daydreaming about my speedy check-out and how much this cashier is going to love me for my speediness, and how much I'm going to love eating food and getting dry.  So I step up after he leaves and it and she rings it up to 89.90 CHF.  GAW!  A) That is a bit of a chunk of change.  B) I don't have that much cash on my person.  Do they take Discover?  Of course not.  Do they take VISA?  NO! Only Master Card.. which I left stateside... cuz WHO TAKES ONLY MASTER CARD?? Anywho.
 
She says in broken German. "BANK?" and points across the street.
 
I run over in the rain, to see a set of glass doors enclosing the ATMs.  I was like a monkey trying to get a Cheeto out of the glass box.  How do I get in there?  Of course there are no English signs telling me how to get in, but my superior skills of deduction that I amassed playing MYST finally prevailed and I figured out that if you stick your ATM card in, the doors open!
 
Voila.
 
I run in get my cash, dash back across the street.  "Sorry Ma'am we are closed.." "But, But, I.. I .. "  They then realized that I wanted to pay them and pay them fast. So they were more than happy to let me and my money back in the store.  After the purchase,  I was glad to have the plastic bag that it came in to use as an umbrella now.
 
Fast forward to taking the train back across town where I watched the number 2 pull away without me.  OK fine, 20 more minutes in the rain, being approached repeatedly by this young boy who only had one arm.  He was rough looking and had blood on his face he asked me in German for money and for a place to sleep.  I felt truly bad that I didn't give him my money, especially since I had to sit at the station for 20 more minutes and watch him ask other people.  Broke my heart.  Why didn't I just give him the money?  Why do I feel so strange in a foreign place about being merciful? 
 
But anyway... got back to dinner a half hour late and all was well.  
 
That is just day one.
 
Stay tuned.  The shower stall is too small for me to bend over in, and the power cord only maintains, does not charge...
 
 

No comments: