Friday, May 08, 2009

Convo with Mom.

My parents just went thru a tornado down in Fredericktown.  Before I call out the humor, I must say that they are totally fine.
 
Some really high winds knocked over a ton of trees in my parent's densely wooded sub-division.  Trees are crisscrossing the roads so that people (my dad included cannot get to their homes).  Dad parks his truck as far in as he can get and proceeds to hike to the house.  It took him 30 minutes to hike this distance.  The combo of wind and trees falling made it a little dicey. 
 
I called my mom and got the scoop.  I would be a little bit excited to see how i would fare without certain creature comforts.  She was not as excited about two weeks without electricity and hunting rabbit. 
 
"Lindsey, we can't hunt rabbits... we have no OVEN and no FREEZER!"
 
Oh.  Ok.
 
"Well, I knew the electricity was supposed to go out so I filled the bathtub up with water so we would have water to flush the toilets, but I forgot to fill yours and Dusty's up too..
"Gosh Mom, there is no room for mistakes like that.  There is probably NO where to go to the bathroom outside, what with all the trees gone and stuff!"
"I also took a shower this morning since I knew I may not get to take one in a long time, but I am ALREADY sweaty!"
"Hmmm"
"All we have is two bottles of water and some green tea, and no food.  We just have the water in the bathtubs and the gas in the car to charge the phones by!"
"Mom I will bring you some food."
"I don't think you can get in, I think the cars on the highway (into the subdivision) are backed up.. heck all the way to Farmington..(18 miles)."
"How do you know that?"
"I don't.  Well the girls in the office in town have been telling us things.  They are calling in the National Guard."
"Do you want to come stay with me?"
"I don't know yet, give us a day to figure things out.  Some Mothers day for ME!"
"Hah, oh by the way.. the present I bought you on Amazon didn't come in on time.  I gave the wrong credit card number."
"Oh."
"Sorry to add insult to injury.  I even had it express shipped and it just never came".
"Don't worry about it, I haven't gotten my mom anything either.  It's yet to be determined."
"I don't know what that means."
"I don't want to waste anymore battery"
"Ok Mom, let me know if you need anything."
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

liz said...

this is fantastic. utterly fantastic.