Monday, May 03, 2010

Broken Heart Hook Hand

My blog was under construction.  Once again my heart is under reconstruction as well.  I pray your patience while I deal with my busted self a bit.  I tend to process things in writing.  Deep, overly personal, public writing.  Here we go.

First of all, I have amazing friends.  Friends who, I was prepared to move across the country from.  Friends who, when I broke up with the reason  to move, came over with orchids, pie and good jokes.  I also was invited to hang out again and again and that totally rocked.  Thanks guys.

Speaking of good friends, I must go back and relay a story.  A few months ago, Liz invited me over to what could have EASILY been a "couples only" dinner.  I could have easily said no, but I am glad I didn't.   I arrive and I meet her new beau, we'll call him "J".  I had met him once before, but in a big group of people.  Tonight it was just the three of us for a bit and I was glad for a chance to get to know him better.  He and Liz and puttering around the kitchen making the fixin's for a delicious mexican meal and our conversation went something like this:
J:  [Casually, with his back to me, making guacamole] "So Lindsey, last time we talked you mentioned you were an engineer, maybe moving to Portland... and you had a hook-hand?
Me: [Slightly suprised... Wow.  What a nice guy...he remembered ALL that stuff about me after meeting me just once and then I MUST have told that dumb story about me breaking my hand in college when I had that weird blue-cast that was shaped like a claw...oh, and he just called it a "hook".. whatever...close enough...whatever he's probably slightly nervous and mixing up that OTHER story i probalby told about the time i stuck a crochet hook in my ear...wouldn't be right to correct him at this point..don't want to embarass him..so I say dramatically with hand slapping the counter] "I DID have a hook hand!  Wow, good recall!"

J and Liz:  [Uncontrollable Laughter.]

L:  [That IS funny, I know.  Maybe not THAT funny, but maybe they are both nervous.  Who cares it's fun to over-laugh.  I'm in.] "Blabbity Blah blah college.  Blah basketball.  Yeah taking a bath with my arm hanging outside of the tub. Hah!"

J and Liz:  [More Uncontrollable Laughter] "Blah bla yes, more things about that blah blah HAHAHAHA"

Me:  [This is fun, I am ON. Everything I say is GOLD.  I like this boy of Liz's!] "Yeah it looked like Gonzo from the Muppets"

J and Liz: [Still Laughing exchanging lengthy glances...]

J:  "Lindsey I have to tell you ...I was very excited and nervous to see you tonight.  When Liz and I went on our first date, we went to the Drunken Fish.  And it was interesting that they had a website for people going on their first date that we happen to see.  One of the points that they suggested for an ice-breaker is to just look at your new date and say: 'You know I think I've met you before, only last time you had a 'HOOK HAND' ..."

J and Liz: [Uncontrollable Laughter].

J:  "So Liz and I thought it would be great to try that line out on one of her unsuspecting friends.  And we picked you.  And we are so glad we did.  We definitely made the right choice."

Me:  [Light bulb coming on...I've been punk'd] "Oh. Hook hand. Heh. Yeah, I uh...had convinced myself I had told you that story before."

J:  "Of all the responses I could have possibly gotten, that was NOT what I was expecting."

J and Liz: [Uncontrollable Laughter].

Me: [DORK! Lindsey! DORK! Not anywhere NEAR COOL! Doh!]


Now J just refers to me in general as "Ole Hook Hand".  
You will forever have my allegiance, mister J.  For that, and since you take really good care of Liz.

1 comment:

liz said...

still uncontrollably laughing! but must change two things. 1. j is definitely quite the man vs boy. and even more importantly, 2. you are absolutely cool and we were only ever all laughing together at the ridiculousness of asking someone if they possibly previously had a hookhand and no longer did...never at you or your fantastic stories.