Sunday, February 27, 2005

Merrilland...I mean Murland.

OH manomanoman. Big weekend for me. First off, the Lady Bear Dawgs had their final regular season game at the field house, it was pandelirium! Quite a few of the alumni showed up it was AWESOME to see Abby, (aka Schmabby, Nuby Eyeburger, Mini-leg) I didn't know for sure if she was coming or not, and it was so good to see her. Had a girly reunion moment which i'm not proud of, complete with squealing. Kate came from New York too, especially good to see her. All of the girls I played with are now completely out of school, so almost all years I was there were represented, which was really cool.

To add to the joy, the Bears won handily and played in peak form. NYU beat Brandeis, giving WU the sole share of their 8th straight UAA title and their 16th trip to the big little dance (not really a 'big' dance in Div. III, I suppose). Anyway, it was such a cheese moment for me (got a little teary) when the announcer guy relayed the message that Brandeis lost, and the whole crowd went nuts and the seniors just all started going crazy.

After the game, as I was standing over a puddle of diet coke that I had knocked over, waiting for a guy with a mop, I got to see Nicole (a senior) and her mom celebrate with a hug and I teared up. (Tell me what is wrong with me?) . I've been out of school four years now, and this experience doesn't fail to get to me.

On top of them winning all of the Alumni were in town for a game of our own, which was also just incredibly fun and nostalgic. I played pretty well, one parent said to me "You weren't that good when you were here!" It's true...

Trips down memory lane. Kirstens practice with two right shoes. Crow sliding into the shower wall on her stomach. Shiny mooning a recruit and her dad that she didn't realize were in the stands during practice. Sue and the snotty face. Coach and the "insensity" and "if you listen to me this will be alot funner" comments. Me sleeping through my alarm and having to be picked up by Coach Airport Nazi herself in her tiny car. My mom almost getting kicked out of a gym for yelling "You SUCK" at the top of her lungs. American Pie the shower version. Oh gosh. I am so blessed to have had this family, these experiences. Gosh I think I am going to write a book.

Fast forward to have some great times discussing life and love and money with my folks and looking at houses. I think that I have found one. Maybe two. One backs up to a sand volleyball court, I think I could melt with joy. Decisions, Decisions.

Decisions I am making for me. Because I have to live with them. Because it's my life. No one else has my life and no one else can make them for me. It's sounds simple. But oh, how it hasn't been for me before.

Murl and Willie back in action, rocking the greater Merrilland, nay Murland Heights metropolitan area. That has a nice ring to it.

3 comments:

Mark said...

Merrilland heights? Murland Heights has such a better ring to it.

The Murland Heights Contingent; growing every day.

SBean said...

Both of you are hilarious! I will have to make a visit to the newly known Murilland Heights. ;o)

Linz said...

Noted. Murland it is. Shoo'...