Thursday, April 24, 2008

Not Swinglish...Singlish



So we took the Singaporean drafting team out to dinner tonight because they go home tomorrow to Singapore never to return! We should have done this earlier because they were JUST PRECIOUS!!! Oh man. So the five of them sitting at our table are starting from me.. Indian, Phillipino, Chinese, Indonesian and Javanese? When asked what language they speak to each other.. they reply "Singlish". Which can have words from a handful of different languages and then they just end english words in "La" So i try one.. "Coca Cola" This gets a laugh but really more like "Hello-la" or "Yah-la". "No-la." If you are more Chinese decent you say "meh" Or something. "No-meh".
I tried to explain "Y'all" but that didn't seem to translate well.


I couldn't stop laughing they were so cute. Two saw snow for the first time here, one learned to cook here ("cuz the food is horrible") and one guy makes these faces like you wouldn't believe. Ugh. Just adorable. Bye Jitendra! Safe travels, nice working with you, even though I literally could fit you in my carry on luggage, you are a man among men my friend!


No comments: