Saturday, April 26, 2008

This week in Basel



Spring is here. It does make me happy. It does make me prance a little bit hopping down stairs. I hope this lovely weather holds on this week as my PARENTS are coming over on Monday! Hooray!! Had one of the best meals yet in Basel last week. Rick and Ashley hosted potluck enchilada night and it was delicious. We had chicken and cheese enchiladas, salad, tacos, spanish rice, Jeff made puff pastries (yes it's true)... and Jack made "Swiss Margharitas" consisting of Crystal Light mix, Limes and Tequila, mixed in a coffee pot, not bad. Tami (above) had three before dinner, (she's the best) I had diet coke :) Great times had by all. Note the sombrero on the bottle. Shannon was the lucky recipient.

Marc took me to buy a bike at a sale in a little villiage in Gemany outside Basel. That is right folks, I got on a bike after about 18 or so years of not being on one. Let me tell you my rump is SORE. I guess we rode about 15 miles today total. We went to the sale early in the morning and the weather was GLORIOUS. Perfect day.This is it folks! The new bike. Got it for 30 Euros and it's got a light on the front and back (almost) and comes with it's own air pump. Not bad. Made in West Germany, that tells you about how old it is. It's got "character" I'll ride it to work hopefully.
Had some very good 'italian' ice cream. This dish was called "Spaghetti Ice". I had the "Pizza Ice".

We then rode up to this castle that was just charming and had a great view of the valley and then we sat in a bier garten and had some pretzels and tea and just chatted about the deep stuff in life. Great day. I dont have any pictures of the ride home, it was almost too beautiful for words. I didn't have time or desire to stop riding and yank out the camera. It rode through some vineyards, the sky was brilliant sapphire blue, the sun was warm, breeze cool, the roads vacant except for a few other riders. Little orchards, apples, plums, pears, and of course grapes. Windy villiage roads. I was Diane Lane in Under the Tuscan sun or something. (I mean...I'm usually in an episode of The Office, so don't worry).
Drove by a flower patch were you can just go and pick flowers and then pay for them by the stem on your way out. Very Laura Ingalls Wilder. I got these red-beauties for 2.5 Fr.

No comments: