Sunday, April 24, 2005

Contentment in the Desert


That is the title of this painting. I think that describes me well at this point in my life. (Not so much the cleavage hanging out part, sorry about that) I just listened to a sermon on the *mumble mumbly*th Commandment, the one on coveting your neighbor, and it was good. I have tried to explain to some folks what's going on with me lately and it's hard to describe but the word is "content". I think is a very different thing than merely being happy. We are supposed to be content or joyful in all circumstances, but that doesn't mean we have to feel "happy". But I have felt very content and free lately. Very free from some influences in my life that made me fearful of living life. My circumstances haven't particularly changed so much, but I feel like I'm having more and more moments of trusting that Jesus is my everything even though he isn't a fleshly being. I think it's also taking people in my life off the hook as I don't look to them to be perfect. I wish I could explain it better, but I've been reading John in depth lately and I just love it. I love looking at the life of the Christ, my intercessor, my payment, my salvation. He's my ticket to Disneyland--the one with no lines. I'm back in a place where I actually want other people to know Jesus again. Not in a psychotic way.. but in a yeah.. that's the crackers and mustard kinda way. I watch people put their hope in the signs of God, instead of God. We see in scripture people putting their trust in the miracles and the way Jesus made peoples circumstances better, and He would ask us: "What is harder to say 'Pick up your mat and walk?' or 'Your sins are forgiven?' If you are free in Christ, you are free. Live in it, wallow in it, because it is the only source of joy that will not run dry. He would say "I am the Bread." Everything else can be intrinsically 'good' things, families, jobs, homes, health, and any number of other blessings, but we musn't forget where every good and perfect gift comes from. Great analogy is if you are driving to St. Louis and the sign says 100 more miles, you don't hop out and dance around the sign, take pictures and try to visit the arch, you will be dissappointed, you keep driving cause it's merely a pointer to where you are going.

Posted by Hello

1 comment:

Mark said...

You have such purdy perktures in your bloggedy.